Wednesday, November 05, 2014
Sunday, June 01, 2014
Preaching by David Helm (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2014). 128
pages. Good, Very practical. Expositional Preaching is
a part of a series by 9Marks that outlines each of the marks of a
healthy church. In this book, Helm lays out a simple and reproducible
approach to preparing and preaching expository sermons. This book will
be helpful to anyone preparing for vocational church work, and for any
Christian interested in encouraging and praying for church health in
- Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson by D. A. Carson (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2008). 160 pages. Good, personally encouraging. Memoirs is an account of the ministry of Tom Carson, an ordinary pastor-missionary in Quebec. This book is encouraging because it shows the triumphs and challenges of an ordinary man working to be faithful in a difficult ministry. O, that I would prove as faithful in the end. God help me, Amen.
Wednesday, January 01, 2014
- Whereas I have been brought by divine grace to repent and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and to give up myself to him, and
- Whereas my salvation is not dependent on good works (Romans 4:1-8, Ephesians 2:8-9), but rather encourages them (Ephesians 2:10), and
- Whereas Christians are called to strive after holiness (Hebrews 12:14), and
- Whereas Christ promises to grant what we ask when we ask in his name (John 14:13, Matthew 7:7-11), and
- Whereas God refers to our bodies as temples (1 Corinthians 6:12-20), and
- Whereas God refers to the whole church as a temple (1 Corinthians 3:16-17), and
- Whereas God calls us to renew our minds (Romans 12:1-2, Ephesians 4:17-24),
- Be it resolved, that I will live my life before the face of God, determining to make every decision and do whatever I think will be most to God’s glory.
- Resolved, that I will not be idle or waste time.
- Resolved, that I will be quick to repent when I fail.
- Resolved, that I will work and pray for the unity of the Church.
- Resolved, that I will seek, by divine aid, to live carefully in the world, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, and remembering that, as I have been buried by baptism and raised from its symbolic grave, so I have a special obligation to live a new and holy life.
- Resolved, that I will work and pray for the continuance of an evangelical ministry, that I will contribute regularly to support that ministry, the relief of the poor, and the spread of the gospel through all nations.
- Resolved, that I will pray regularly that the Holy Spirit may be poured down on our ministers and churches, that sinners may be converted, the saints edified, the interest of religion revived, and the name of God glorified.
- Resolved, that I will attempt to set aside some time each day to walk or do some other exercise for the benefit of my health.
- Resolved, that I will attempt to limit or avoid unhealthful foods and drinks.
- Resolved, that I will attempt to learn, at a basic level, at least one language this year.
- Resolved, that I will attempt to read at least one book per month.
- Resolved, that I will attempt to read the scriptures daily.
- Resolved, that I will review these resolutions, at least once each week on Sunday, and that I will pray for the grace to keep them insofar as these desires are godly.